Monday, March 5, 2012

Selling Art Online Is An Art

     I spent the whole day Saturday creating my first power point presentation.  It didn't take very long to put together, but I lingered looking at the various ways I could make things flash and zoom.  The fonts!  The clip art!  I'm giving a presentation to the Greater St. Louis Art Association later this month.  I'll be talking about my colored pencil process and how I sell art online.  I have an hour to fill, so I thought I'd talk for 30 minutes about  colored pencil technique and use the rest of my time for art marketing.
     When I think about all the internet sites I've shown my paintings this past year, I'm amazed.  A year ago I didn't even know what Pinterest was (was Pinterest around a year ago?).  I'm going to encourage the audience to consider, if they haven't, the importance of having a website.  I have a terrific website created lovingly by my computer savvy daughter.  It has the main ingredients: home page, bio, artist statement, contact and link information.  She added a page for me about commissions.  We tweak it from time to time.
    I thought about calling my presentation, "Twelve Ways To Sell Art In 2012."  I have an Etsy Shop where I sell original paintings, prints and note cards.  I also have a shop on DailyPaintWorks where I can set up affordable auctions.  It's sort of like Ebay except it's all original art.  I'll tell them all I know (listen to me, now I'm a know-it-all) about social media, since I have a Facebook pageTwitter account, Flickr page, StumbleUpon page and - oh yeah - a Pinterest account!  If anyone wants to know about my newsletter, I'll tell them I use Mad Mimi.  (if you'd like to sign up for my free monthly newsletter, you can do it from this blog - upper right hand corner, just takes a minute).   I'll tell them about my blog and all the nice people I've met.  I think that's only nine ways I'm selling my art online, but it's still a lot.


Original mini canvas painting, 3" x 3" colored pencil by Susie Tenzer Buy it on Etsy $25

5 comments:

  1. Suzie!!! What's your Pinterest link? I'd love to follow and pin your beautiful work!
    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies
    P.S. There's a Pinterest Hop going on this week, if you're interested. =)
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I just followed your blog & your pinterest, here's mine:
    http://pinterest.com/susietenzer/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing.
    Selling Art Online

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. And good for you that you've went onto different platforms for that purpose. Should be a fine example for a lot of folks who are still trying to figure out this 'online marketing' thing. These are some nice samples. We hope that these gets the audience and buyers that these deserve. Though maybe you can reorganize these materials into a particular online M.O. or brand with which to hawk to potential buyers. Something that is easy to do by fully mustering the social media sites.

    Layla Stabile

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's certainly a craft and smarts that this entails. We don't let the omnipresent nature of the online medium fool us into complacency, much less dampen our own efforts and acts. We still have to push our online presence forward, and the means for it (i.e. social media sites, blogs) for this that are available.

    Viper Online

    ReplyDelete