Monday, October 17, 2011

My First Art Show CraftOutLoud!

My first art show - I'm nervous!  I'm preparing to sell my art at a new show in St. Louis called CraftOutLoud! on Nov. 5 & 6.  I saw a note about the show in my friend Carla Mash-Duncan's newsletter.  She makes beautiful jewelry and textiles under the name Duncan Designs.  I've never been in an art show before but I contacted the director and I was accepted (it's an invitational show).  One of the things I'm worried about is the booth.  Wow, some folks make their booths pretty elaborate!  Plus, I don't want to spend much money on this thing.  Myles (my husband) has some metal grid panels left over from shows he did years ago in the custom print industry.



 I have a 4' X 6' space.  The panels are 2' X 8', so we're going to clip three panels together for the back of the booth and one or two panels on each side.  My brother-in-law offered to give me black material (he owns  a hat company) that we're going to use to cover the panels.  I think I can use drapery hooks to hang my artwork.  I bought a card rack for my printed greeting cards and I have a nice basket to hold my art prints.  I'm not sure how to display these, but maybe I'll put them on folding tray tables.  There's so much to think about as I'm getting ready for the show!  If you do shows, what's your best tip?

20 comments:

  1. Hi Susie...good luck! I've done a fair amount of shows in the past couple years..There is a lot to do and remember, however, u learn as u go along how to improve your booths look. I found a great list of what to do and bring on Etsy but I'll have to find it again..when I do, i 'll send it your way..
    don't worry - u have great work . You will have fun and meet lots of folks that have things in common with you...they are work but also rewarding. Is this a show to sell or only exhibit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Bluepie! I'd love to see that list if you find it. This is a show to sell my work. There are about 30 artists, all different, so I'm interested to see their booths & what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do shows all the time with my mom when I was younger, but I haven't done one by myself (yet). When I do, I'll probably be just as nervous as you are. So here's my advice: Take a deep breath, and remember, you're an artist (and a VERY good one at that)! It looks like you've got the panels for the siding, and fabric...You're going to do great! Good luck, and I can't wait to read about how it went. =)
    ~Kim
    from Blogging Buddies team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Kim! I'll definitely post updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzie - I'm sure you'll do great! Sounds like you have it all under control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll do fine, just remember to have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Charlene & Ruth, for your votes of confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love clever ideas - that backdrop was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting set up for your first show is a lot of work. I have several of those metal grids and they work great. Nice idea to cover them in black. If you have electricity, maybe add some small spotlights? Good luck, you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nangates, I just bought 3 shop lights, hopefully that'll be enough. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with the art show, your work is fabulous and you should do good. Me, I am still wanting to do a show yet to scared to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suzie, I do shows all the time! The first one is the hardest as you're figuring out the display and booth itself. I think you're on the right track with keeping your background black so the art stands out. Be sure to bring a few spotlights to call attention to a few key pieces. (don't forget extension cords!) Do you use the SQUARE device to take credit cards? Have a stash of cash to make change. WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES!!! :) And above all, have fun!! You are the best representative of your work. Let your personality and vibe shine and the sales will follow!! ENJOY IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. prayers going up. I have my first major event this friday. So far its a bust and a nightmare. Sigh... have fun is the key

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Mona, Kandy, SmileyKit, Bella & beautiful swag! I'm going to use the square, already downloaded the app. Hey beautiful swag, why is your event a nightmare? Hope it improves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. uniquecozytreasures- Suzie, I have never done shows,etc. However, it seems you have received many helpful tips from those that have. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Deb, I'll let everyone know how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck, I can't wait to hear how it goes for you :))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Found the list!

    enjoy and have fun! I have a show this thursday but its inside..a bit easier re: the weather!
    http://www.etsy.com/teams/8070/craft-fairs-its-a-living/discuss/6864273/page/6/?post_id=103960278&prior_page=1

    ReplyDelete