Monday, October 3, 2011

How To Make An Art Inspiration Board

  I just finished making a huge 4" X 6' bulletin board for my art studio.  It's more of an inspiration board, because I put all sorts of meaningful things on it, like photos of my grandkids and art awards.  I knew I wanted to put something on the wall by my drafting table - a wall I look at every day.  Then I stumbled on a tutorial about making a bulletin board out of Homosote, which is a brand name for pressed paper board.  It's 1/2" thick and comes in sheets of 4' X 8".  I found it at a local lumber yard & it cost about $30.  Here's the directions to make your own art inspiration board

                                 
I found green/blue patterned material at Wallmart.  It's jersey, so it stretches & doesn't show wrinkles.  I stapled it on the back (added some duct tape, too) & hung it by knocking nails through the board into the wall.  Push pins hold my papers.  Now I'm inspired to work on art!

19 comments:

  1. Susie I love your inspiration board. I wish I had a spare wall to put one on in my studio!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea!! I think I'm going to make one! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie, this is so nice and an inspiration for me to start one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the print that you picked out. fellow artist from promofrenzy now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your board....and I love how tidy your studio is.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful idea! I really like your board!! :D

    Kandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea and so easy to do at a low cost, jut might have to make one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is cool, I think I'll try it in my son's room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your craftiness! Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great idea, I have something similar too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susie...i love this board too! I made one years ago from a bulletin board and just covered it with fabric. I have it hanging in my sew/studio room and look at family and friends photos daily. It makes me smile..
    thanks for sharing!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such an inspiring post, Susie!
    I want to make a mood board for my studio, too.
    May I ask what lumber yard you found your Homosote at?

    Thanks, Susie!!
    Mary
    Mary C. Nasser Art Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of Homosote, will have to look into that. I'd love to have a WHOLE wall to be able to post stuff on! :) Do you think this is better than cork?

    Thanks for the info!

    Rachel Q Landers Sisk

    (from ASG Team)

    ReplyDelete