Monday, May 30, 2011

Wow, is that really colored pencil?

     Everyone who sees my artwork asks that question, so I decided to use it as my tag line.  Some people say it looks like watercolor or oil painting.   I tried everything from oil painting to screen printing.  Colored pencils, though, are perfect for drawing precise details in a realistic style.  My favorite subjects are simple, everyday objects.  I use bold, bright colors and I love to incorporate shiny, reflective surfaces.  My paintings (I prefer to call my artwork “paintings” similar to pastel artists) are done on archival paper.  I layer many colors, often six to twelve layers, until they are vivid and saturated.     
     I was born and raised in St. Louis, Mo.  I’m married, have two adult children and three (with one on the way) grandchildren.  Although I began my college career in art, my degree is in education.  I taught for over twenty years.  I didn’t do anything artistic for a long time, but the itch returned a year ago.  Facing my 60th birthday, I felt it was now or never.  My goal was to see if I could truly be an “artist.”  My daughter created a web site for me, www.susietenzer.com.  I started a Facebook business page:  www.facebook.com/SusieTenzerArt and Twitter: www.twitter.com/susietenzer.  I opened a shop on Etsy www.susietenzer.etsy.com and Artfire:  www.susietenzer.artfire.com.   I sold my artwork at a local boutique and had a painting juried into a gallery show.  I became a juried member of the Missouri Artisans’ Association (the Best of Missouri Hands).  What a whirlwind year!
      It was serendipity.  On Etsy, I met a lot of talented artists.  Several months ago I met Mary Nasser http://www.marycnasser.com/ who connected me to artist and gallery owner Heather Haymart http://www.heatherhaymart.com/.  Heather invited me to show my work in her gallery, Wood Icing http://www.chesterfield.woodicing.com/.  What a thrill!  I truly feel I accomplished my goal of becoming an artist.  Did you see the movie, “City Slickers” with Billy Crystal?  He said it’s all about finding the one thing that’s important to you.  

22 comments:

  1. Billy was right! I'm glad you found yours, and are enjoying it so much! It's awesome to be in a gallery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found your passion. Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had a great year from all your hard work! Congratulations!
    Carol from Carol's Jewelry Orchard

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do amazing work. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fantastic post, love the cherries on your website! "Who let them out"

    ReplyDelete
  6. uniquecozytreasures - Good for you! I love colored pencils too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on all you've accomplished! Your work is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is stunning. You've found your spot.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it has been a whirlwind year for you. You've certainly found your niche!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! And your work is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post is as your work, great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really inspiring and motivating! I'd actually rather sell art than chocolates, but I feel like there's so much competition for it on Etsy. I'm dying to try it though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love looking at your art work. I think it is wonderful that you can draw with colored pencil and make it look so real.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have great talent. I really enjoy your work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic and inspirational story for the rest of the artists who just are not sure if they can make. Congrats on all your success

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a whirlwind, your paintings are lovely - your success not surprise.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great way to implement one tried and true marketing rule -- figure out what makes you different or unique, and promote that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. susie-welcome to the group! I also added your store link to my blog :o). Great artwork!

    ReplyDelete